Tuesday, February 06, 2007

A Review of How to Beat Loose Passive PLO25 games

Last December I started a thread about the strategy that I was using to beat the PLO25 games (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=8361246&an=0&page=2#Post8361246).

The games have gotten a bit tougher since then, but there are still plenty of players I can beat, and since I removed most of my bankroll offline, I'm going to wait things out playing PLO25. Invariably my play drifts after a while, and I start playing too many hands and getting very aggressive. I'm not sure this increased aggression is the best strategy, but it certainly adds variance to my results. I'm going to review a couple of strategy points from my original post.

1b. Starting hands of your opponents. As I look at the 6max Stars window right now, I see an average of 60% of people seeing the flops over 7 PLO $25 tables. Clearly people are playing a lot of garbage hands and playing them OOP. This sort of analysis leads me to believe that the best strategy is to play fewer hands. Play better cards and for more raised pots than your opponents. (If you check out the 5 PLO $600 tables it is an average of 43% of players seeing flops.)

5. Flop Play. "Tighten up" is what someone advised on this [2+2 PLO] board. Words to live by in a loose passive (preflop) game. If there are 4 ppl seeing every flop, then it doesn't take a genius to figure out that you need to hit a flop fairly hard.I'm not saying you have to nut peddle, but it's pretty close.

9. Bluffing. You'll want to keep this to a minimum because many of these players will make bad calls (mistakes). You want them to call bad when they have a ten high flush and you an ace high. So how are they going to know when you run a naked ace bluff against them? Pick and choose your best spots to pick up an abandoned pot based on who your opponents are in the hand, their tendencies, your position, your table image, etc. Just don't do it very often.

One finds out pretty quickly that if you bet, they will call with fairly mediocre hands. I.e. it's pointless to bet a flop/turn on some sort of draw and get called each way, then bet pot again on the river even if you missed. Someone will call you with two pair (any two pair), not just top. This of course is how you make so much money when you actually hit your hand - getting paid off by weaker hands.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home